Subject: [Leica] Re: IMG: Ira's PESO 2008-3: Beech Model 18
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 1 20:29:45 2008

My thanks to Adam, Jim Nichols and Douglas Sharp for commenting on this
latest PESO of mine.   Just a few bits of information regarding this
particular
aircraft.

This plane began life as a Navy SNB-5 Navigator, s/n 44588.  It does  indeed
have two-bladed props. When I first saw it about 5 years ago, it was  in
fresh
condition, just out of the restoration shop with brightly polished  aluminum
panels.  The ensuing years in the Southern California sun oxidized  the
metal
to the state you see here.

The museum also has a Lockheed Model 14 Super-Electra on display, a  Navy
R50-5 Lodestar.  It's a much larger plane than the Beechcraft, and in  much
worse
shape.  It looks as if someone poured dark green paint over  the airframe
without any concern for color authenticity.  Amelia Earhardt's  plane was a
Model
10E Electra, and sizewise falls between the two.  The  Electra had a 55 ft
span and a 10,500 lb. loaded weight; the Beech 47'8" and  7,500 lb.

Ref:
_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Beech+Model+18.jpg.html_

(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Beech+Model+18.jpg.html)

Thanks again for looking and commenting.

Best Regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, CA

Home.