Subject: [Leica] WAS: F 5.6 and don't be there! NOW: PORTRAIT LIGHT!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Apr 23 22:25:47 2008

Ken Carney offered:

>>Ted,

>Can't you just do all that in >Photoshop now?<<

Hi Ken,

I suppose if someone were a super whiz at photo shopping it could be done.
But it would be so horribly time consuming I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it.

If the photographer were an astute observer and user of light, he or she
would've put themselves on the "shadow side" in the first place, made the
exposure and it would be done.

However, what I'm talking about and have taught for years is, "shoot from
the shadow side" because it's a very expressive light and shadow.

The bottom line is to recognize how the light is illuminating the subject
and if you aren't on the shadow side, then if  possible change direction and
position then shoot from there.

If not make the best of what you've got.

The key to making the shadow side work is, work at finding and recognizing
it. Once you recognize the effect without thinking, it becomes automatic as
a sixth sense.

ted