Subject: [Leica] Felling the Mighty Oak - 21st Century Style
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Apr 24 09:15:05 2008

Doug wrote:

>>Removing the overgrown cottonwood tree in my yard will cost about 100%
of
an M8 body :-(
(vaguely on-topic).  Also not a DIY project.<<

IME it's expensive to have any work done in California. Cutting a tree
down in Portland, OR, OTOH is expensive and also requires legal
petitions and maybe even an act of congress. I knew for two years that
my neighbor's tree was going to fall. People bristled when I mentioned
that it be cut down. Don't get me wrong. I like trees. But this one
eventually fell....right on top of my house.

Cutting a tree down in NC is less of an issue, I found. Plenty of people
will do it at reasonable rates. I had a 200 year-old oak tree in my back
yard. It had been dead for a couple of years. Perhaps from a lightening
strike, the scars of which were pretty obvious. It cost $100 to have it
cut down. It would have been another $100 to chop it up and haul it away
but I let it rest.

The only caveat, according to the guy cutting it down, was that it would
cost another $200 if he happened to hit a cannonball with his chain saw.
I thought he was joking but he was serious. He said it's not uncommon in
old oaks in the area to find where a cannonball or two was left in the
crotch. Over time the tree grew and engulfed them.

Sadly, I didn't include anything in this photo for reference so the tree
doesn't look that big. But it's big. The trunk is over 5 ft in diameter.
No Sequoia, but still impressive.

http://www.purplehen.com/Fuji/oaktree.jpg

DaveR

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Felling the Mighty Oak - 21st Century Style)