Subject: [Leica] noctilux factoid of the day - computer history/nostalgia
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Apr 25 20:38:40 2008

2008-04-25-23:16:32 Frank Filippone:
> If you owned a PC as your first computer user, you ain't old enough to be
> an
> old Fart.
>
> Old Farts used real manly computers.... things with attached air
> conditioners....... and paper punched tape done on a Teletype
> machine......or maybe toggle switches for the boot......

EggZACtly.  Real old farts can debate the merits of oiled versus
Mylar-backed paper tape (well, there's little to debate, actually --
cheap and ubiquitous versus fancy and expensive but much less prone to
destruction).  Toggle switches?  The boot sequence for that PDP-11/40
from an RK05 disk is burned into my memory:

   173100
   <load address>
   177406
   <boot>

Okay, I admit: that last octal digit has become hazy -- 6 may be a
guess.

 -Jeff

Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] noctilux factoid of the day - computer history/nostalgia)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] noctilux factoid of the day - computer history/nostalgia)