Subject: [Leica] Coolscan?
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sat May 3 05:24:15 2008

Frank,

Try the settings menu and tools pallet before taking your scanner apart.
:-)  I did that once with a LS30 and spent the rest of the week kicking
myself. Using a screwdriver is the court of last resort.

I'd make sure all the preferences are correct by resetting to factory
defaults. It sounded as if you had a struggle finding the
negative/positive settings and if this is true you might go back and
reread your manual. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty
straightforward.

Most of the tools pallet settings are not necessary if you have
Photoshop to do your editing. The crop works well set to the middle
selection (it says "always keep this crop 1.45x0.96) and then scan at
4000 dpi. Once you get the image on file you can go back and resize to
your hearts content, keeping an original in case you need it. The auto
focus at the bottom of the tools pallet is also go to leave on.

Make sure you don't use digital ice with b&w negs....( I'm using a
Coolscan V but I think the 4000 also has the ice feature?) Scan your b&w
as neg/mono, calibrated rgb. This gives you a range of options not
available if you simply use grayscale. You can always convert to
grayscale before posting/printing, etc.

Hope some of this might help.

Walt