Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 3 12:54:29 2008

Frank,

I'm using a Minolta Scan Elite, so some of this may not apply.

For B+W, I've had the most success scanning as color positive, then
inverting and tweaking in Photoshop.  BD had a great formula for simulating
TR-X
using the channel mixer (43% red, 33% blue, 24% green, monochrome, set USM
at
15/55/1 and add 3-5% noise), and the results I've gotten have been quite
nice.

I do very little using the scanning software, other than to maybe center
the
histogram

Do not use Digital ICE on B+W unless its the chromogenic variety.  I(f  you
want to use a dust and scratch remover, download the free plug-in,
"Photoshop
Dust & Scratch Remover" at:

_http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html_
(http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html)

It's controllable and quite effective.

I use the scanner's autofocus to get close, but always manually focus
before
I scan.

And finally, make sure the light path in the scanner is clean.

Good luck and Best Regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, CA

On Fri, 2 May 2008 21:09:21 -0700, "Frank Filippone" _red735i@earthlink.net_
(mailto:red735i@earthlink.net)  wrota:

I received my ( used) Coolscan 4000, and it works,  somewhat.....

I am getting scans that are soft, and seemingly of low  saturation.

Using films strips and the 6 neg direct input module.   Nikon Scan 4.02
Software.  ( not 3.0 that came with the scanner  originally).

Film is either B+W or Velvia, in strips.  ( I finally  got it to reverse the
negative films image to a positive... that on its own  was a big deal.)

How do you set this thing up to get good  scans?

favorites at AOL Food.

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Test)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!)