Subject: [Leica] Senior Solo
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu May 8 13:05:35 2008

> Do you suppose marching cellists did formation steps?   I can see it
> now on TV during the next Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade - the NY
> Philharmonic string sections pushing and playing their basses,
> strumming their cellos, and bowing their violins while spelling out,
> Oh, I don't know, say, "Contribute Now" as they maneuver and march.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dick

In 1962 in 6th grade I had one Cello lesson and they said
"show up to band practice at 8AM Tuesday." at the Sunset Ridge School band
room Northfield Illinois. It's still there.

So I did and two other people in my class (girls) who had just gotten into
Cello using smaller Kay plywood cellos they had at the school in the
instrument room right off the band room. With long pegs.
We all played the Bassoon part. It was demeaning. And 8 in the morning.

But a few months later they got some violins in and started calling it
"orchestra" instead of "band".
It never marched in the meantime I was glad about that.
Mr. Burstrom was the conductor also my adviser and 6th grade history teacher
and great guy.

We played L'Arl?sienne, Suite Number One (or two) by Bizet one thousand
times for 3 years..

Da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da. (recognize it?)

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com