Subject: [Leica] Orphan Works - . A MUST READ EVERYONE! :-( DON'T CRYLATER!YOU WERE WARNED!!!
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun May 11 18:37:05 2008

At 06:30 PM 5/11/2008, you wrote:
>You can, I believe, register more than one picture for the $45
>fee.    You can register a whole page full of pictures, dozens and
>dozens of them, for one fee.

That's right.  And that's the way it's always been.  But less than 2%
of photos are currently registered.  The point is that all creative
work should be considered copyrighted as soon as it is
completed.  According to current worldwide law (Berne Convention) it
is.  However, in the USA, in order to claim damages or legal fees in
case of infringements, the photos have to be registered with the USA
copyright office.  That's the way it has always been and
photographers concerned with copyright protection (a minority) have
registered their photos religiously. The new bill, now before
Congress, reverses that.  What the new bill says is that anything is
fair game to use any way UNLESS it has been registered with the
copyright office (or other independent agencies that are lining up to
offer registration for a fee)  Anything not registered is considered
an Orphan Work.  Under the proposed law, even if your work is
registered, the burden of proof for infringement would be with
you.  You would have to find any of your photos that are violating
your copyright.  You would have to file a claim, at your expense,
and, even if the infringer is found to have infringed upon your
copyright, they would only have to pay a "reasonable" fee determined
by the court.

There is nothing about this bill, either the House or Senate version,
that is good for photographers.  Everything in it is a major step
backward in copyright protection.  I cannot imagine any photographer
supporting this bill.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI