Subject: [Leica] Orphan Works - . A MUST READ EVERYONE! :-(DON'T CRY LATER! YOU WERE WARNED!!!
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun May 11 18:58:36 2008

Tina,

I read through the "Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act of 2008".  This is the
Senate version, S. 2913, which can be read on Thomas.gov.  (Evidently Shawn
Bentley was the VP of intellectual property for Time Warner.) Let us suppose
that I have made an image of commercial value, not a P30 warranting an army
of lawyers, but just a nice photo for once.  Let us further stretch the
imagination and say that my photo earned, say $1,000 in royalties.  As I
read the bill, my recourse is to the courts (perhaps it has always been so
--I haven't produced anything yet to test this).  One thing I know is that
$1,000 in attorney fees are incurred in a heartbeat.  If I print author info
in the print, and the infringer removes it, recourse is still to the courts.
Surely there must be a better way.  Whatever, I agree that this bill is bad
and will accordingly protest.

(One thing I do agree about is Mr. Small's comments about Senator Leahy.  I
think one of Dick Cheney's better moments was when he told Leahy to
go...ahhmm, err, well I guess that's it for this quote.)

Ken