Subject: [Leica] Orphan Works and Fiar Use
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue May 13 22:19:53 2008

At 01:49 PM 5/13/2008, Steve Unsworth wrote:
 >Marc, of course it unacceptable that Hove have cheated some authors out of
 >their  royalties. However Hove were/are publishers of fairly esoteric books
 >that don't sell in very large numbers. So if someone like Hove stiffs the
 >authors not many people get hurt and not for much money - yes each loss is
 >tragedy for the author, but Dan Brown you're not. However it appears that
 >this bill could potentially affect vast numbers of photographers at an
 >enormous cost to them.
 >
 >You need a sense of perspective and not think the world revolves around
 >your
 >problem. There are bigger issues at stake.

Whoa, there, big guy:  my concern was that the
photographers were insisting that the world
revolved around THEIR concerns and screw those of
us who write books.  I would suggest a bit of
balance in our discusions -- I was over board in
my initial posting and have since acknowledged this.

Tina raised legitimate concerns over exclusions
from copyright protection for works used for
educational and charitable and religious works
and the like.  I suspect that what we are seeing
there is a carryover of the current "fair use"
doctrine, an absolute bulwark of academic
publishing.  It is necessary to bear in mind that
intellectual property rights laws are pretty severely capslized.

For instance, patents are treated one way and
this area of law has been tossed up into great
confusion by the uneven protections afforded drug
patents by various nations.  Trademarks are also
treated in a unique matter and, again, there has
been some uncertainty in this by several
unfortunate bits of legislation adopted by
Congress in the 1970's and by the EU shortly thereafter.

Now copyrights treat the remaining areas of
intellectual properties in three distinct
manners:  music is given mainstream protection
and this system seems to be working adequately as
witness the Napster litigation of a decade
ago.  But now we go into free-fall when we come
to visual works -- photographs, paintings, and
sculpture and the like -- and written works such
as articles, stories, and books.  Here, there is
a great disparity.in how and what can be copied without payment of royalties.

For photographs, you have to obtain permission
and pay such royalties as are required and
provide appropriate attribution.  This is an
absolute so long as the photograph is still under
copyright.  If you want to reproduce say, the
picture of Tenzing Norgay at the summit of Mount
Everest in 1953, then you either need the
permission of the organizational holders -- the
Royal Geographic Society, the National Geographic
Society, or the Alpine Club -- or of Sir Edmund
HIllary's Estate.  There are no exceptions during
the life of the copyright.  (Yes, I once had to
get permission to reproduce this picture:  the
National Geographic Society charged us around
$200 or so;  about a year later, I mentioned this
to Sir Edmund and he wrote me back that I should
have asked HIM as he would have given permission
at no charge.  We all live and learn.)

Written works are of an entirely different
nature.  Scholars and reviewers are allowed to
quote from such works to provide proof of a point
or to display the original author's
attitudes.  When I wrote my book on non-Leitz LTM
lenses, I cited extensively from the works of
others and could do so without worrying about
permission or royalties as that is "fair
use".  And those who reviewed my book quoted me,
again in extenso, and could do so without permission or royalties.

So, if I want to critique one of Tina pictures, I
may do so without worrying about royalties or
permission as that is clearly covered by fair
use.  But to reproduce the picture, I have to
respect such matters with extreme dedication to precision.

I suspect the provision in this "Orphan Works"
bill to which Tina objected is intended to
preserve the long custom -- gong back to
pre-Christian days in Greece and Rome -- of
academic commentators to be permitted a fair use of each others ' works.

And, frankly, I have had problems on many
occasions trying to run down the holders of
copyrights.  Try to discover who holds the rights
to, say, Kilfitt ads from the 1950's, especially
when Zoomar just acknowledges a request and never otherwise responds.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Support the Orphan Works Bills! Kill the Publishers!)