Subject: [Leica] Steve's Book
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed May 14 17:45:34 2008

On May 13, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Peter Klein wrote:

> I received Steve's book, "I Never Wanted To Be Famous" a few weeks
> ago.  What with work and my recent newspaper writing, I didn't
> really have any time to think of anything to say that hasn't been
> said already.  But now I must at least put in my two cents.  So I'll
> just say that it's a beautiful--and heartrending--piece of work.
>
> We went for a walk right after Katya had looked through the book.
> While we were walking, she said to me:  "You know, you can really
> tell that he's a special doctor.  Look at how those children look at
> him.  They don't make many doctors like that any more."
> I should also say that as I looked at Steve's book, the photographer-
> me faded into the background, and it was just the human-being-me who
> was observing. You know how it is when you practice an art form
> yourself--it's often very hard to suspend your critical facility.
> I had that same sense with Steve's book--that the kids, and Steve,
> were speaking directly to me.  Through Steve, the kids were being
> their own witnesses.  Yes, good compositions and well-caught moments
> contribute to the effect, as does look of the B&W film, the
> Noctilux' selective focus and bokeh, blah blah blah.  But that's the
> medium. The message is that these kids are saying to us:  "I was
> here.  I got very sick and my doctors and nurses helped me. My
> family loved me. And it all mattered very much."
>
> That message comes through loud and clear.  Thank you, Steve.

you're welcome...     and thank you.

funny thing Peter, each time I go through the book I like it more, not
to be taken lightly... I feel it communicates something special...

More, I have found that children like it, and I'm not sure why...

Most important, my wife Dominique, who can be a most severe critic,
loves it...she holds it so gently, with a reverance I have never
before seen...

Steve