Subject: [Leica] OT: User comments sought on Win XP SP3
From: eperea at walkereng.com (Emilio Perea)
Date: Sat May 17 13:23:16 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:05:08AM -0400, A. Lal wrote:
> Have any LUGers downloaded and installed SP3? If so, please comment,
> pro and con.

I only use XP on my old laptop, and it made a great difference in memory
handling.  Since I added a 1Gb card to the original 512Mb, hibernation
had been extremely unreliable at all times, and failing 100% of the time
when the memory load reached 42%.  I installed a pre-release version of
SP3 hoping it would fix was a NIC driver problem.  That did not work,
but the hibernation problems disappeared, and the memory load behaves
much more normally rather than always ratchetting up until it kills
hibernation.

That being said, I am not aware of anybody else having issues one way or
the other.  My problems were probably due to flaky hardware, so it may
not help that much on "normal" computers, but in my case it makes the
laptop usable again.  My only PITA with SP3 was being unable to upgrade
to the final version without a needlessly long uninstall and reinstall.