Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yosemite too... and Raw exposure for dynamic range
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun May 18 16:34:21 2008

Hi Geoff,

Here is the link to a thread on making a custom white balance:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22250&st=0

The idea is that the JPG histogram, as displayed, is now closer to the
histogram of the raw file, after conversion.  I tried it today, and watching
the green channel on the camera histogram, it was indeed further to the
right (than auto white balance), and the resulting ACR histogram was not as
compressed.  As a bonus, your camera display is now green, like night vision
gear, to impress your friends.  As far as the real WB, I always take a gray
card shot (with the WhiBal) for that.  From the thread, I noted that some
raw converters (specifically ACR) are not supposed to be able to handle this
well, but the images looked fine to me in ACR.  I will try it in Capture One
4.1, but I'm out of play time for today.

Evidently this is a technique well known to everyone but me(no surprises
there), but I will try it some more.  I don't have anything critical coming
up until late June, when I am to do a Blurb book for a big gathering of
Benedictine nuns here, something they do every 40 years or so.  If I screw
that up, my next email address will be in Belize!  BTW I have to learn
on-camera flash by then too!

Ken