Subject: [Leica] OT: Sigma DP1 review
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue May 20 09:58:17 2008

> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp1/
>
> Chris

This for me as all these digital cameras come down is a one of a kind  kind
of thing so far as far as camera introductions go.
The camera was hyped as a FULL SIZED SENSOR digital point and shoot.
Then you had to figure out what a full sized sensor was.
Did it mean full frame?
No that was too much to ask.
What did it mean then?
Probably a 1.5 crop which is what most photography nowadays gets shot at
with something resembling a serious camera.
And yes that was their intention it seemed.
Till it turned out they were not able to pull it off.
Then then went back to the drawing board.
Maybe it was not accidental that "full sized" was vague
They not wanting to put all their eggs in the 1.5 crop basket before the
bird was in hand.
As they ended up having it mean full sized 4/3's;

Which is not "full sized" certainly in the main sense.
4/3's being a nietzsche format nowhere near as common as the other formats.

And DP preview doesn't mention this. That I could find at least.

When someone comes out me vague it goes in one ear and out the other.
I'm really tired of being scammed here in NY.
When they come at  you vague you know its goin to be vague all the way
through to the end.

Its a  20.7 X 13.8 mm sensor
285.66 cubic mm's

4/3's is 18 X 13.5mm
243 cubic mm's

So its a tad bigger than four thirds

I think of it as four and a quarter thirds

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com