Subject: [Leica] IMG: Barber Shop and LIGHT - Ted
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Thu May 22 21:59:32 2008

Ted Grant wrote:

>Beautiful soft light avoiding black shadows which surely would've spoiled
>what little we can see into the shop.
>
>Besides this type of light is enhancing allowing the appreciation of the
>subtle colours of the area. Rather than the garish look they would be in
>sunlight.
>
>I noticed Philippe offered.
>

>>>Have you tried BWing it? I guess it would suffer less from the bad
>>>

>light, just a thought<<<<
>

>Philippe I'm not sure where the bad light is? Please explain, thank you.
>
>I bet the famous French photographer Marc Riboud would see this as I do,
>"beautiful soft enhancing light" and not "bad light" as you offer.
>
>Marc has said.. "Give me soft light, fog light, overcast and mist light,
>mood light, anything but sunlight!
>
>Why not sunlight? He considers sunlight the enemy of photographers in
>creating nothing but black distracting shadows!!!
>
>I concur, as I'll take a soft gentle almost shadow less overcast light 99.9%
>of the time over sunlight. Unless I'm shooting travel assignments depicting
>beautiful beaches and swimmers frolicking in the surf. In that case sunlight
>is the best assistant you can have. :-)
>
>Nothing wrong with trying it in B&W in any event as it's a kind of
>photojournalistic situation so why not. Besides the soft light should work
>very well compared to bright light.
>
>So Philippe over to you mon ami! :-)
>
>ted

Roger!

or rather Ted ;-)

The light, it is milky, comes from nowhere and gives false reflexions
(the board above the window is washed out, the shirt has no colour, etc)
and hardly any worthy shadow that would set people and cabins out. I'm
not tryng to distroy Tina's vision - there was a reason why she went
"click", but to me, there's no depth or volume in there.
Rather, back or side light, caught up in the trees and a distractor, and
none behind the sheds , where the eye is also invited to pay a visit; so
frustrating if you imagine some of the vivid colours of the country.
I know Tina is not responsible for the planets positions  :-[  and that
she had to either set the camera, or adjust when processsing,  in order
to get those people inside nearly right.
Let's say it was a near impossible shot to make without at least some
light inside the barber's shed, even a remote controlled flash fill-in
would have done the trick.
I've been to India, shot thousands of slides, more than half of which I
immediately filed into bin 13 as you say, for exactly the same reasons.

I don't mean to offend anyone, neither Tina, nor you Ted. But this is
how I saw the photo in the first place.
I hope my humble opinion is not causing concern or trouble to anyone.
Thanks for the prompt to discuss light, which after all photography is
all about.

Yours, most respectfully
Phx, forever ton ami. :-D

ROGER