Subject: [Leica] what ch'all missed by not riding with me in arizona
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sun May 25 16:32:35 2008

Steve sed:

>here just 16 years...yes, I should know, but aside from throwing money
>around, there must be other tricks, and I would bet Kyle knows
>them...he doesn't seem like a yuppie to me

>btw Kyle, from your last shot, it looks like half of West Philly was
>there,

There were 12 people on my "photo tour" which i figured meant a quarter of a
mile of canyon, divided by 12. what i didn't realize was that they had a
"non photo tour" at the same time with maybe 24 people and three other
groups were giving tours at the same time. when we pulled up there were
probably 10 trucks out there, each holding a dozen people. so the place was
PACKED. rule number one: "listen to your navajo guide" -- s/he's been there
every day for years, they have a good idea what you want and a good idea of
how to get it. rules two: "move fast" -- i mean, really fast. if someone's
in front of you, shoot over their head. get your shot the fraction of a
second your frame is clear. set your camera to bracket seven stops and use
the motor drive, there's no time to waste metering. rule three: "ball head".
rule four -- "when the light beams are gone, everybody goes outside and
waits to leave. this is when you go back in, then you WILL have the canyon
to yourself." 125 people turn into 14 people and 35 people outside smoking
(82% of whom are german tourists going "Vas?! Kefeltenvichen! only five
deutchmarks? Mein Lieben, let's just buy ze whole country! Hahaha!")

that's about it.