Subject: [Leica] M8 and the WAR
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jun 11 10:56:39 2008

Both the D100 and M8 are digital "first outs" by the respective companies
Nikon and Leica.
And that's where their similarity ends.
The D100 is a plastic cameras which broke DSLR price barriers. It got me
into digital photography.
The M8 also broke price barriers but on the high end.
Is a very high priced piece of gear made  painstakingly in small batches...
By people who are perhaps more comfortable with watch like mechanisms than
electronic ones.
A NON DSLR. A rangefinder.
I hate to see them thrown in the same pile as far as use or results.
Apples and oranges.
I think the nikon is the apple but it could go the other way.

It was never 140 degrees F when I was taking pictures or my clock would have
stopped too.

If the D100 was not perfect it was ok was it was a grand and a half and the
D200 was a real camera made for serious use and we all just got that when
the time came. I don't even use the D100 as a back up body I use a D40x.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner