Subject: [Leica] Good old censorship
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Thu Jun 12 19:07:29 2008

The photographer's first mistake may have been to comply with this
paranoid harridan's demand that he follow her to a police officer,
thereby lending some credence to her complaint. He should have ignored
her and reacted in an offended and incredulous manner if she returned
with an officer in tow.

For sure, his biggest mistake was to hand over his film at all. That
he was willing to do so to a private individual seems incredible to
me. I'd like to think that I would have simply refused to allow this
illegal and warrantless act of search and seizure and, if the cops
gave me an ultimatum, either gone along quietly, making mental notes
all the way (and written notes of the officers' badge numbers) or, if
unwilling to be arrested, offered to turn over the film to the
officers in exchange for a receipt. But under no circumstances would I
have turned the film over to the complaining party.

Of course, at age 63 I have a well-developed sense of self-right and
enough experience of the world to have a sense of adventure and a feel
for the worst that can happen. (I once simply took back a roll of
Kodachrome from the table where it was sitting in front of the Syrian
Army camp commander before whom I had been escorted at gunpoint after
having taken photos of a billboard on a public road in front of his
camp--but not photos of the camp--having made what I thought was a
satisfactory case for my innocence and for being allowed to depart
with the film. Apparently the case was indeed satisfactory, as Major
Mohammed let me and my film go in peace.) The young photog in this
case may not have had the confidence born of seasoning to stand his
ground. Pity.

--howard