Subject: [Leica] Michael Collins: Was, Ireland and stuff2
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Jun 17 15:13:52 2008

At 04:56 PM 6/17/2008, Jerry Lehrer wrote:
 >Sunny,
 >
 >To misquote " Oh to be in Ireland now that spring is here".  That first
 >view looks just as it did to
 >me 50 years ago!
 >
 >Gonna get any shots of the Pubs in Dublin?  Raise a glass of Guinness to
 >the memorial to Michael
 >Collins.

Well, there really isn't much of a monument to
Michael Collins in Dublin and they make it a bit
difficult to get to the gravesite.  The highways
and memorials sections of the Irish government
seem run by the followers of de Valera, as even
the site of Collins' death, Beul na mBlath in
County Cork, is absolutely unmarked on Irish
government maps.  I had to ask locals for the way
and they were most forthcoming, especially when I
asked in my marginal Gaelic, back in 2001.

Now, if you visit the General Post Office in
Dublin, the locus for the Easter Rebellion, you
find huge paintings on the wall, above the clerks
busy selling stamps and the like -- for that
matter, the Irish PO still distributes something
on the order of 250,000 British War Pension
checks monthly, a holdover from the days of
common rule.  The paintings on the wall show
Collins as a heroic character but nary a sight
there would be of Dev.  Clearly, the Irish PO is
run by those who admire Michael Collins and who
disdain the legacy, such as it is, of de Valera.

I did take a couple of shots with my M6 of the
marker at the place where Collins was killed and
the monument nearby.  The pictures are simply
documentary and are unremarkable.  Perhaps I should post them.

Collins was the first Commander of the modern
Irish Army but that Army, despite annual requests
to do so, is still forbidden to honor his grave.  Go figure.

Poblacht na-hEireann!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!