Subject: [Leica] IMG: shot with my found Diax IIa
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Mon Jun 30 19:29:51 2008

Thanks Jim,
I would like to find the 50mm coated Xenon lens for this camera, but
apparently the interchangeable mount bodies had a relatively short run
and weren't imported into the US with volumes such as Nikon, Canon and
Leica. I've found out a bit and they were imported in larger numbers in
Canada and Australia than the US. The camera is so solid that perhaps
people just hung onto them. They aren't worth too much on the used
market, but the quality is pretty high so that may have influenced
users and collectors to keep them. I'm not sure.

I really like that Tele-Xenar lens more than the Isconar as well. The
latter just seems "Thambar soft" but without the character. I wasn't
very fair to the Isco lens because I was using it at wider apertures in
more challenging light which just accentuated the marks and haze as
well as any defects in lens design. It does resolve a decent image
though. I'll try it in some brighter light at f/11 to see what I get.
Maybe it will redeem itself.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the gifted-to-me camera.
Now if I could only find that Xenon and the other Schneider 35mm lens...

PhilFo

Message from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] IMG: shot with my found Diax IIa)