Subject: [Leica] Not in Zim
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Natan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Jun 30 23:56:34 2008

Glad to hear you are OK, Daniel. It is indeed sad commentary on the
state of African government what is happening there. I am referring
not only to Zimbabwe itself but also the disgraceful reaction (or lack
thereof) by South Africa. Mbeki has the tools to pound Mugabe into
submission within weeks (and no, I am not talking about military
intervention) but for some strange reason refuses to use them.

As for the comment by the hotel worker, it reminds me of a similar
comment on BBC World Service I heard some time in 2007 or 2006. It was
one of the Kenyan leaders of the independence struggle in the early
1960s. He said flat out that if he had known back then what kind of
governments would emerge in Kenya after independence, he would have
thrown in his lot with a continuation of the British Empire.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu