Subject: [Leica] Paris....Potos Illegal? Why?
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Jul 15 16:19:16 2008

At 06:53 PM 7/15/2008, you wrote:
>Unless there is a new law out and I haven't heard about it, there is
>nothing illegal with taking pictures in public places or outside in
>France. There are restrictions to using these pictures for commercial
>purposes, as in advertising or postcards and you would want a
>consent. If it is for informative purposes (i.e. journalistic
>purposes, news, articles and to a certain extent books...) there
>should be no need for a consent. Same applies to private buildings or
>buildings with a copyright on them.

I think this whole controversy started when a journalist took a photo
of a girl eating an ice cream cone on a French street.  It was used
to illustrate an editorial article and the girl was insulted by her
appearance in print.  She sued in the French courts and won. So, now,
every photo featuring a recognizable person has to be released before
it is published anywhere - even editorially.

Google is
cautious:  http://www.macworld.com/article/134297/2008/07/streetview.html

Tina

Tina Manley