Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica]Paris....Photos Illegal? Why?
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed Jul 16 15:21:00 2008

AS far as I am aware there are strict limitations on what you can do in
private
buildings in France. The basic point is that French Law has a very different
take on privacy from that here in the UK or in the US, particularly as
regards
photos taken of celebrities and such like. However, it is still my
understanding
that you can take photos for your own non-commercial use, even to show to
your
colleagues on the internet (eg LUG shots) - provided that that doesn't cause
breach of the law in any other direction. The other issue is that you
shouldn't
exploit people by taking a shot and then selling it for millions without
them
getting a look in or having signed a release.

It would probably have given HCB, Doisneau and others cause for concern. But
what happens if you take a picture which subsequently becomes well-known
over a
period of time and you have no way of going back to the people involved?

In any case the French are far too pragmatic to prevent tourists taking
photos
in most instances.

I look forward to hearing what Tarek finds out.

Peter