Subject: [Leica] I left my Leica on a train
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed Jul 16 21:04:42 2008

I have three memories worth sharing, but only one is mine.  I had a Leica
IIIa taken from the glove compartment of my car in a parking lot.  It was a
beater so I didn't get too upset, but one day a friend of mine approached me
and asked if I was interested in buying an old Leica.  Sure enough, it was
the one that was stolen!  My friend was quite red-faced -- he had acquired
it from another friend who may or may not have been the one who took it.  I
felt a change of friends was in order and took appropriate action. ;-)

Another friend from the army had been stationed in Japan.  He was
photographing an interesting bridge in the country and somehow managed to
leave his entire kit and gadget bag on the bridge when he drove off.  Some
hours later he realized his mistake and drove back to the bridge.  And there
it was -- right where he left it.  His experience left a permanent
impression of Japanese ethics and propriety, at least in rural Japan in the
1960s.

This same guy was also stationed in Korea for a while.  He bought a new
Nikon F from the PX and, not entirely trusting his houseboy, hid it among
his belongings, under some clothing in a trunk.  One day he was cleaning
(fondling) his camera in the room and briefly left to go to the latrine.
When he got back the camera had vanished from his desk.  He frantically
tracked down the houseboy and asked if he had any idea about where the
camera had gone.  "Yessir," he said.  "I saw that you had left it out and
put it back where you always keep it."  Hmm -- dunno about that one. ;-)

And finally, not a camera tale, but yesterday I went to a coffee shop and
hooked up to their wifi with my iPod Touch.  When I had checked my email and
read the paper, I gathered up my belongings and took off.  2 hours later I
realized my iPod was awol.  Finally recalled where I had been and went back
to the coffee shop.  Happily, someone had turned it in and I got it back.

Over time I've been impressed with the honesty of most folks, but once you
have a bad experience it leaves a mark.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE