Subject: [Leica] How to get an M8 for $3200...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Jul 22 08:57:56 2008

At 8:00 AM -0700 7/22/08, Frank Filippone wrote:
>I think you are wrong, Frank.....  I think this is precisely what the SW is
>doing......  Sharpening, blending, color balance, adding pixels, whatever
>else.....  which can give a more pleasing image.
>
>None of these pixels is real in the image as the optical rays hit the
>sensor.  They are "deduced" or "constructed" or "created".
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net

Seems to be a mistep in logic here... The camera and software do not
reveal data (detail, tonal info, whatever) that didn't get recorded
by the chip. It can take the data that the chip provides and massage
it til the cows come home, but no new data will be created, at best
only extrapolated data. Whether that data is more pleasing or not is
beside the point. If the software is lucky the new data might
actually bear some resemblance to reality or to data that might have
been captured by a better chip, but more likely it has nothing to do
with reality; it is a figment of the software designer's imagination.

It's like taking a photograph and, using a paintbrush, painting
something more to your liking over it. Maybe more pleasing, but
further from the reality that a good chip can capture.

In a crude analogy, it's somewhat like brain surgery. We can 'fix'
things, and make the result more pleasing, but we can't increase
brain function in any real way.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design