Subject: [Leica] covering the news....
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Sat Jul 26 23:19:37 2008

When a journalist embeds with the US military, they are subject,
however loosely, to the chain of command for final release authority.
They know this. Breach of this agreement is a breach of contract and
that's that. Anyone who thinks that embedding with the military is a
blank check is an idiot and irresponsible. I love freedom of speech and
freedom of press. The problem with this is that in a combat zone there
is no such thing. It's not the United States. Iraq is a sovereign
nation and our Bill of Rights does not apply there. Sad, but also true.
It's true outside of our borders in every place on earth actually,
many Americans forget that. When I have been photographing in every
other country except Iraq, I was extremely aware that I was subject to
their laws and customs. As I was a military photojournalist in Iraq I
DID have that blank check, but I also had to answer to my COC for
publication. Not to worry because four years after I took the photos,
the people are still dead, the horror has not changed and the impact is
still there. No security risk now and I can publish whatever I like.
Phil

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] covering the news....)
Message from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] covering the news....)