Subject: [Leica] M8 Ultra Violet photography
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed Jul 30 00:08:02 2008

Colour UV or IR rarely make pictorial sense to me, but that's just me.  I
use both UV and IR a lot for work.  The M8 works okay for IR photography,
but the filter on the sensor does remove some IR (though not enough to
prevent magenta contamination, obviously).  You can also get a decent UV
effect, but modern coated glass filters out the vast majority of wavelengths
that are important in the scientific and technical applications that UV is
really useful for.  The Fuji YV/IR camera is nice:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080904fujifilms3prouvir.asp as are other
digicams modified to have the filter on the front of the sensor removed.
You really, however, need a lens with quartz elements like a UV-Nikkor or
custom lens made by Kogaku or Custom Optics.

Marty

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

--