Subject: [Leica] Leica upgrade/repair service
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Aug 1 13:19:53 2008

You may recall that about 2 months ago I was enquiring about the best
way to send expensive things to Solms for service.

After reading the replies (thanks, all!) I bit the bullet and shipped
it via Canada Post Express, with less than full insurance. Insurance
agents here told me that they would sell me insurance, but to expect
problems in collecting on it. Soo... with trepidation I sent off an
M8, Noctilux, 28 Summicron, 21 Elmarit ASPH and 28-50 Tri Elmar.

After the parcel had fallen off the Canadian tracking radar a few
days, I contacted Leica. They had not seen the parcel, but Herr Jakob
followed that up a day or two later stating that the parcel had been
sent to a neighbouring village and had taken a bit of a vacation
there.

He sent me an estimate, including work for 'fixing' the Noctilux;
apparently the guides had worn and needed replacing/adjusting. I was
hesitant, but agreed. Less than 3 weeks later it was sent off back to
me. After 2 weeks enroute I was starting to get worried again, but
then got a call from Fedex saying they had a parcel that needed
Customs clearing, and did I want them to do it or did I have my own
broker. I enquired as to the stated value for Customs, and was told
that it was over 3500 Euros. As the work itself, and the amount I
paid was about a sixth of that, I told them I would clear it myself
and armed myself with as much paper as I could. I finally convinced
the Customs people that there had been a mistake in the labelling of
the value for Customs, and paid the 'proper' amount.

Then I got my package. It was large, about 60cm x 60cm x 40cm. Lots
of bubbles. You could probably have dropped it from the plane
directly onto my driveway and the contents would have been fine.
Inside were the five items, each additionally wrapped and presented
in black velveteen bags.

Two of the lenses had had new rear caps put on (the old ones were
included) and everything looked spotlessly clean. The Noctilux is now
slightly stiff, but that's to be expected with the new focussing
guides and lubrication.

The M8 had had its viewfinder adjusted, and now worked perfectly with
the Noctilux. The Noctilux still works perfectly with the other M8.
Great! All lenses are properly coded an register as such with the
cameras.

The M8 that had been sent in had had a gouge out of the rear plate
near the 'set' button, and the glass had been chipped near there and
had had a number of scratches. Both the rear cover glass and the rear
plastic plate, along with buttons, wheel etc. have been replaced at
no charge.

All in all, an outstanding service job. Yes, it cost some money but
the quality of the work, communication and presentation were truly
first class. I've never had service work as good from Canon or Nikon
before that (nor Leica in the 60's or 70's).

The only bad parts were the shipping in both directions. The strange
value for the return trip was apparently entered on the papers by the
third party shipping company Leica uses, as Leica's papers quite
clearly showed the true value. Herr Jakob told me that the 3500 Euros
might have been entered for the total value of the shipment, not the
customs value but clearly the total value of the 5 items was much
higher than that.

In any case, Leica's service was excellent. I haven't sent anything
to them for years (probably about 25) and only used third party, so
was very nervous after hearing various bad reports. I just thought
that I should balance that with a good report (which doesn't ususally
get written).

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design