Subject: [Leica] CANON REBEL XSi 12.2 megp. --an alternative
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Aug 5 10:03:42 2008

Yep I'd call it an "alternative"
like shooting with a Minox camera is an alternative to shooting with a
Rolleiflex TLR Camera.
Its another camera you can point down the street.

To me street photography means Tri X.
400 speed film.
Black Gold; Texas Tea.
Last time I did it with film it was with Neopan 1600 @ 1600.
A Minox sized sensor with digital does not give you a viable 400 ISO to get
an 8x print with.
You can depend on image stabilizing and shoot at 1 or 200.
That's playtime as far as I go.
If I'm there I'm going to get the shot. Or I'd be home watching television.
I don't think of pocket point and shoots as viable "street photography"
cameras. They are just a tad less serious than that. They do great macro you
can upload to the internet and kids opening presents.
There are some very small and lightweight DSLR's out there.
This CANON REBEL XSi would give you several times better quality than point
and shoots - it has a 1.6x crop circle.
They don't even tell you the crop factor with point and shoots because you'd
cry. 7X? I was out of school that day.  Suffice to say a normal lens is
around a 9mm. That should tell you the story right there.  A normal with the
1.6 would be close to 28mm.
28mm * 1.6 = 44.8
With my calculations
I borrowed a computer from NASA and cut and paste.
28 beats 9!

I'm aiming at a 45 as my new normal.
The camera which will give me this is the just out Leica D700.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner