Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue Aug 5 19:46:10 2008

If it is good enough for Tina it is good enough for me. :-)

Seriously.  I have used PC's since DOS days and other computers before that.
Being a teacher, soon after Apple came out with the Mac, most schools
converted from the Apple IIe's they had to Mac.  Mac had a big in-road, but
I always preferred the PC for my own work.  At first, it was because it was
way cheaper, but I could also do things much faster with DOS than with a
GUI.  I almost changed when Windows 3.1 and 3.11 came out because they were
plagued with problems, but since Windows 98 I have been very satisfied.  A
few years before I retired, the school went totally PC platform, at first
Windows 98 then XP.  I, as tech support for the building, found it much
easier to support on the network than the Apples we had (i-mac's).  There
has been one Mac holdout and he has had nothing but problems with his
machine, both with the network and hardware.  OS-X was a real pain.  I have
been gone a year, and maybe it is better.  Actually, I liked OS-X as I found
it much more Windows like than OS-9.  It did cool things.

I have a new Quad Core PC with Vista Ultimate 32 bit and it is so speedy it
does what I want before I tell it to do it.  Well, not quite.  But it runs
CS3 and Lightroom like greased lightning. My new AMD Laptop is dual core and
not quite as speedy using Vista Ultimate 64 bit, but is rock stable.  No
complaints.  I think it is what you are use to.  If it works for you, then
use it.  What does Ted say about cameras.  They are tools, so just use them
to take pictures.  Find one you like and have fun.  Same with computers.  If
you think like a Mac, use a Mac.  If you think like XP or Vista, then use
them and have fun.  I, too, go crazy on a Mac, just like I go crazy with my
Canon.  I am at home on a PC just like I am at home on my R8.  However,
digital is so alluring I choose to go crazy on the Canon more lately than
stay sane on the R8.  But I can handle only one insanity at a time, so I use
PC and Vista.  Leica, save me with an R8 like DSLR.

Aram

> Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 21:05:27 -0400
> From: Tina Manley <images@comporium.net>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> At 08:50 PM 8/5/2008, you wrote:
> >Hi, Luis
> >
> >Wish I could offer some technical insight.  I suspect it is a question
> of
> >what you are used to.  I had a PC built for Photoshop and it works
> well.
>
> I'm also on the other side of the fence.  I've always used PC's and
> have never had a problem.  My new Dell laptop is blazingly fast with
> PSCS3 and Lightroom and it's so easy to use.  I had to use a Mac on
> one project and it nearly drove me crazy.  I could never find
> anything or figure out how to do anything.  I'm sure that's just
> because I'm used to PC's, but if I you were, I'd try one before I
> bought it.  Many of my e-mail list members have been complaining a
> lot about the newest Mac's breaking down and crashing on a regular
> basis.  They all advise to be sure to buy Apple Care if you get a Mac.
>
> I'm sure the Macnuts will disagree, but I wouldn't want to try to
> convert everything I've got hooked up to my Windows XP to a Mac (or to
> Vista!)
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley
> www.tinamanley.com