Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Thu Aug 7 06:26:54 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Don Dory <don.dory@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course one of my sources is delighted that some specialized machines
> that
> they use running Windows 95 don't cost them anything; they only fear is
> that
> they are running out of certain parts to keep them going and then programs
> that they implement don't work on other platforms.

I had a Win98 machine whose only chore in life was to monitor a network
camera that looked at the archives door.  I could glance to see if it was a
patron or staff when I was alone and the door beeped.

Our security minded IT department decided that all non-secure OS's had to be
taken off the network, and replaced with XP or 2000 with timed locking
screensavers.  Therefore if I do not touch the machine for ten minutes, I
must log in again.

There went my cheap monitor.

Meanwhile, our email system, maintained by the same cautious people, allowed
308 pieces of spam since July 23, the last time I emptied my junk bin.

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com