Subject: Was RE: [Leica] Fakes Now OT Olympics statistics
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Aug 12 23:27:08 2008

Indeed! Well he is a fantastic athlete and deserves his every success this
games... just kinda loud ;-)
And would you rather watch Michael Phelps or Stephanie Rice racing?
Incidentally, this from the Los Angeles Times

"Australia leads in medals per capita
August 12, 2008
Everybody says the great medal-count derby of Beijing 2008 will boil down to
China versus the United States, but as usual, everybody's wrong.
Neither China nor the United States has any chance at the top honor. Oh,
they'll have their little scuffle in the Medals Table, all right.
They just won't even sniff contention in the humble Medals Per Capita Table,
which divides national population by total medals -- mindful of the
inarguable fact that China, with 1.33 billion people, or the United States,
with 303.8 million, should get more raw medals than, say, Australia, with
20.6 million.
As Monday evening in Beijing brought a fresh "official" medal table, the MPC
Table looked as follows:

1. Australia (5 medals) -- 4,120,171
2. Croatia (1 medal) -- 4,491,543
3. Georgia (1 medal) -- 4,630,841
4. Czech Republic (2 medals) -- 5,110,456
5. The Netherlands (3 medals) -- 5,548,438

Side note: The laggard United States had 12 medals, for 25,318,721, and the
Lilliputian Chinese gamely had clawed for 14 medals but still looked stuck
with 95,003,186.
Chuck Culpepper"

Adjusted for right now that would be
Australia 1 medal per 2.06 million
USA 1 medal per 13.8 million people, Aren't statistics wonderful ;-) ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/