Subject: [Leica] Sorry for the delay Frank (explanation) WAS Is Lightroom 2.0 Really Shipping?
From: daniel.ridings at yahoo.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Aug 16 14:50:19 2008

Sorry for the delay Frank.

Lightroom is geared towards handling scads of images at a time (and we who
scan, we do not scan scads of images ... we edit first).

One of my major beefs ...

I scan at the highest resolution I think I will ever need (= maximum
resolution of the scanner).

Now ... in general, I don't need that highest resolution, so in Photoshop
(my dissatisfaction is not an anti-Adobe gripe, Photoshop is excellent), I:

1) Do what i would do in the darkroom, fiddle with levels (contrast)
2) resize (enlarge or what-have-you)
3) Sharpen
4) Save as jpeg

In Lightroom, you have to sharpen *before* you resize.

I sharpen very modestly, very, very slightly.

It makes no sense to sharpen slightly on a full-resolution image and then
resize. Resizing a sharpened image 1) loses the sharpening, 2) degrades the
image even more than necessary.

It also takes ages to work with scanned images in Lightroom. It wants to
import your images into its library (that's ok), but it works a lot better
with raw images of about 10 megabytes rather than scanned images that can
get a lot, lot larger. My b/w scanned images (scanned as grey-scale) usually
end up at around 50 megabytes. Color images (I scan at 16 bits) can get even
larger (150 megabytes), but I'm not a purist. I actually feel (accent on
"feel") that my digital color images are superior to my film images that I
have scanned. On the other hand, I could never really master color-work in
the darkroom.

Over and above those issues, my experience, not my impression, but my
experience, is that Lightroom will crash, bomb out on you and steal all of
your CPU-time without ever giving it back (necessitating a CTRL-ALT-DELETE
kill process solution).

Otherwise it looks cool. It just doesn't work for me. I've messed with it
for over a year now (I bought it the week it came out).

Daniel