Subject: [Leica] What is a Novoflex ALLEI ?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Aug 17 20:14:44 2008

At 09:49 PM 8/17/2008, you wrote:
 >LUGers
 >
 >While going thru this tub-full of Leica gear, I came across this
 >Novoflex adapter
 >marked ALLEI.  It has a Leica female thread on front to accept LTM
 >lenses   The
 >back has a bayonet mount, different from the R Leica.
 >
 >My guess is some model of the ALPA, what's yours?

Novoflex comes in two families.

Until the Steinheil family closed down their
lensworks in the early 1960's, Novoflex got its
lenses from that firm.  These lenses use LTM for
internal fittings, lens to adapter or adapter to
adapter.  Following the end of Steinheil,
Novoflex shifted its lens sourcing to Dr Staeble
GMBH, and these lenses use, of all things, the
extremely fine Praktina BM for its internal fitments.

An ALLEI, according to my Burleigh Brooks
catalogue, is intended to mate with an ALPA
bellows to allow the fitment of LTM lenses to
such.  I'd have to check but I believe that only
Novoflex lenses in LTM could achieve infinity focus.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!