Subject: [Leica] RAID controllers?
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Tue Aug 19 08:44:31 2008

Jeff Moore writes:
 > 2008-08-18-18:50:33 Ric Carter:
 > > what about Drobo?
 >
 > Never used a Drobo.
 >
 > Is that the dumbed-down second-city version of an Infrant ReadyNAS?
 >
 >   http://www.readynas.com/
 >
 > Now these, I know and trust.  By no means wickedly speedy, but entirely
 > decent performance for a network-attached device, and priced
 > appropriately [...]

I can second the thumbs up for the Readynas.  Mine's certainly not
going to set any speed records, and they made a batch with flakey
power supplies but did the right thing about it.  They do a good job
of balancing "simple to configure" against "can do complex things".

I use mine for my Time Machine backups, wireless most of the time,
wired if I know that I've changed a lot and need the bandwidth.  It's
not officially supported but the Mac section of www.readynas.com has
the recipe.  It's nice to get back home, open the lid of the macbook
pro and notice that it's automagically doing a backup for me.

g.

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] RAID controllers?)