Subject: [Leica] I have come to this conclusion
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Aug 22 13:22:24 2008

My experiences:

I now have coded the WATE, the regular Tri-Elmar, the 21 ASPH, the
28/2 and, because I sent it in for other reasons anyway, the Noctilux.

I also have coded rings from John Milich for the 15, 21 and 25 CV.

As far as I'm concerned, lenses 28 and wider should be coded, and
35mm are on the bubble. I used filters on all lenses, all the time.
The 12CV has a filter, but I use CornerFix to correct the cyan corner
issue. I leave UV/IR lens detection on for all lenses, but with the
above exceptions I don't have any lenses of 35mm and longer that are
coded. No problem, and obviously lens detection does nothing on my
uncoded 75mm lenses.

Trying to use post production and narrow band desaturation to reduce
the effects of the IR contamination only fixes things partially, and
never as successfully as coding and and lens detection. It's a colour
issue as well as resolution issue. On the other hand, Cornerfix works
very well and is quite easy to use in combination with LR. I
recommend getting it for borrowed wide angle lenses that you can put
a filter on. I'm just borrowing Tom A's 28/2 Ultron (which seems like
a very good alternate to the Summicron, and much better than the
28/1.9) and I'll be processing the pictures with Cornerfix if they
contain evenly lit areas or things in the corners which have to have
quite accurate colours. Most pictures won't need the treatment.

I would also like the option of selecting the lens in a menu, but
coding and lens detection is definitely the preferred method in the
end.

The frame selection of the Tri-Elmar makes sense as the relevant
frames are in the camera and so are important for film and digital.
Focal length detection is only necessary for the digital correction
on the M8. I guess they could have built it in, but considering the
complexity of the TE, increasing the cost and complexity of the WATE
and possibly size obviously outweighed the benefits in their minds. I
tend to agree.

BTW, if you leave the lens detection at the default position (18mm)
the errors at 16 or 21 are not very large