Subject: [Leica] M8.. Kurland
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Tue Aug 26 08:59:58 2008

When I used film I never really became comfortable with high ISO
film. Tried them all.
(except in those rare circumstances when grain enhanced the subject
and print - but even when I wanted grain, I preferred the grain from
Rodinal/tri-x)

Found Tri-X  and developers like diafine would provide the highest
useable shadow speed with acceptable grain and full tonal scale.

The M8's ISO limitations deliver similar feelings - loving the feel
of the tool as an extension of my eye and hands - fully understanding
what it will do and not do - what it does it does extremely well.

Would I love the high ISO performance of the new Nikons in the M8? Sure.
Would I trade this little gem for a huge SLR for that high ISO
performance? No.
Would I unload my Canon 5D and 20D for it? Thinking about it - but
not sure I want to give up the fact that the Canons can use my R
arsenal of lenses (and the Canons do provide fairly incredible high
ISO performance - and I'm sure Canon will play the leap frog game
well enough with the next "breakthrough")

As it stands now the M8 and DMR out perform the Canons on the level
of providing fine detail - which remains my main concern - far more
important to me than high ISO performance.

YMMV

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com