Subject: [Leica] "available light" now means "light too low for people to see in"
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Aug 27 12:26:13 2008

Kyle Cassidy offered:
Subject: [Leica] "available light" now means "light too low for people to
see in"

happened to be at the bat house in the Philadelphia zoo last week. It's very
dark in there, too dark for my aged eyes to see anything apart from the
lightly glowing signs. Certainly not enough for me to see any bats.

>>>Well, I took a photo with the d700 on 400 asa at one second and it wasn't
enough to make out people. I then cranked the ISO up past 6,400 to the
"experimental" range and metered at 1/20th of a second. The VR on the lens
kept it steady enough to get a slightly over-exposed image.

I've pasted the two together with a third box showing what the reduce noise
filter does.

sensitivity.

Here's the shot:

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2008/low-light-700.jpg <<<

Kyle,

The maddening thing about technical developments like these? They're 40
years too late! :-( Like where were they when I was pushing high speed
Ektachrome slide film 2 or 3 stops? We wont go into the technical look as
people wouldn't believe the reproduction in magazines.

ted