Subject: [Leica] IMG: Abstract crow
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Sep 1 02:23:29 2008

Today I experimented with an old 135/3.5 Olympus OM tele on the
E-510.  It's like using a 270mm lens on a 35mm camera. Manual focus, manual
stop-down, aperture priority metering, and in-body image stabilization. I
focused wide open, then counted clicks down f/8 to shoot.

This is the best shot from today, a natural abstract with a crow and some
electrical wires:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312368CrowWires-w.jpg.html>

Now, check this out:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312345GirlSlide-w.jpg.html>
Behind this typical childhood scene is a weird optical effect. Out of focus
highlight disks are greenish donuts surrounding a reddish core. Here's a
1:1 crop showing the effect more clearly.  See the highlights on the
woman's glasses, bolts and washers on the bench, and cris-crosses on the
fence behind.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312345CrazyChroma.jpg.html>

A couple more scenes from the park with the 135:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312358SGalBleachers-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312354ShihTzu-w.jpg.html>

Focusing is difficult.  If I keep using this lens, or my 100/2.8, I'm going
to want a focus confirmation chip on the lens adapter, and/or a Katz Eye
screen.  Anyone with experience with either of these--how well do they work?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG: Abstract crow)
Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Abstract crow)