Subject: [Leica] About to take M8 plunge - but worried about blownhighlights...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Sep 3 09:01:13 2008

At 12:46 PM +1000 9/3/08, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
>Hi Simon, there is very sound advice in the thread, as you would have
>already seen.
>Some additional comments from me on technique for the situation you
>describe.
>Firstly the chromatic aberration you mention is very likely from the lenses
>used. Another great reason to have superb Leica glass!

Actually, the 'chromatic' issues around highlights are not a function
of the lens, but of the sensor and the light qualities that hit it.

Highlight blowout is due to sensor saturation, ie, the sensor cannot
register the actual number of photons that have hit it as it's a
number that's bigger than what it's maximum. Near the actual
highlight, where every channel is blown out, is a region where some
channels are saturated, but not other(s). That will give areas or
rings around the highlights of colours that have not yet saturated.
Because some channels have saturated in this region, the colours will
be false as the saturated channels cannot provide the proper value.

All digital sensors will do this, but unless the highlight areas are
large with gradual transition areas, it won't be a problem. There are
some workarounds, but they involve 'creating' some colour values in
this region.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design