Subject: [Leica] USSR suitcase enlarger
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Sep 5 07:11:19 2008

I wonder how many people actually use enlargers these days? I don't
think many. Analog photography is becoming a lost art, and it's a shame.
A good portable enlarger is as functional today as ever.

Sometimes I think that analog has been given a bad rap. Nasty, smelly
chemicals that turn your fingernails black. But it's pretty easy. It
might even be easier than digital, all things considered, for BW.

Analog has a steep learning curve. It takes time to get to where a
person can generate mostly good negatives and to knock out good prints
without too much proofing, and after the fact spotting. (proofing and
spotting aren't fun). The good news is that once you've got the process
down it doesn't change much. The analog workflow I learned to print
30-years ago and nothing's really different today.

Software, to my chagrin, evolves constantly. Whether upgrading means
"new and improved" is debatable. It really doesn't matter. I rarely have
a choice if I want to "keep current" (use the latest cameras).

In the late 90's I worked on a Y2K project with a major bank. They
hadn't upgraded their AP since 1988. To a friend of mine I asked, "who
waits a decade before upgrading software?" My friend replied, "someone
who know what a PITA upgrading can be." I've been reminded of that line
hundreds of times since then. The bank, FWIW, happened to be one of the
most successful in the world.

DaveR