Subject: OT was RE: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon Sep 8 17:50:59 2008

Sorry about that.  Pt/pd = platinum/palladium printing.  Some, myself
included, think it is the most beautiful of all printing processes.  It is
expensive, fussy, and requires a large negative.  It is also fairly toxic,
not as much as daguerreotype (mercury fumes, anyone?), but up there.  If
Mark is eating pt/pd on his waffles, the pleasure will likely be
short-lived.  Essentially, you pour the emulsion onto paper and then smooth
it out with a haku brush or a glass rod.  Therein lies the greatest health
hazard.  The only container suitable for pouring the emulsion is a shot
glass.  In the safelight, the emulsion looks amazingly like Scotch.  So
there is the chance of a lapse in attention and a conditioned reflex!

FYI here are two links for master pt/pd printers:

www.tommillea.com
www.davidmichaelkennedy.com

I was fortunate enough to learn something from both of these guys.  Most of
Tom's are platinum, most of David's are double-coated palladium.  The web
will not do these justice.  Most are 20x24" inch contact prints that you
could almost jump into.

Ken