Subject: Drowning men - was Re: [Leica] Surprises at Photokina
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sat Sep 13 07:59:58 2008

Pushing it with $7,000-12,000 lenses?  Yes.  The number of people who
actually operate in the "cost be damned" segment is very, very small.
Even if you are writing things like this off your taxes, it's a lot.
Ted is right.  No company and no client would ever pay for this stuff.

If someone really walked into a Leica board meeting and said with a
straight face that there was a business case for making a bunch of
super-fast wide lenses and a monstrously fast 50mm lens, I would give
him big points for salesmanship and appeal to corporate ego.  Imagine
what these projects will involve (or have already involved): big
engineering costs, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on lens
blanks and special glass up front, running thousands of diecast parts,
and selling a few hundred (or maybe a couple thousand) of these over
the next 20 years.  This is the story of the 75mm Summilux and the
penultimate Noctilux, is it not?

It was a different story twenty some years ago when 35mm film was 35mm
film.  Today, the market moves looks at camera body features, and once
you've saturated the market of people (like me) who already have
sizeable investments in M glass, you need something else to drive
sales.  That means compelling upgrades (read: serious upgrades to
sensor, in-body IS, ultrasonic dust removal) for existing users and
conquest sales to get more people into the system.

Dante