Subject: [Leica] August 2008 LUG photo contest winners
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu Sep 18 12:43:13 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Gary Todoroff wrote:

> Thanks very much for my first first place! As some background, the
> candid photo of the girl at the pay-phone was taken in the very best
> Leica tradition . . .  with an Olympus C-8080! The live-view
> articulated LCD gave me the option of using the camera like a twin
> lens reflex, with the zoom lens extended to about a 90mm equivalent.
> It was in fairly dark shade, but I was able to brace the camera
> against my body for a very sharp photo at 1/15th second. By standing
> with a group of people (that she was part of, too) and appearing to
> be "fiddling" with the camera, the girl was not aware that I was
> taking the photo.
>
> I have not been posting to my "Lympa Log" much lately, nor much to
> the LUG for that matter. However, LUGgers can follow my passion for
> the creative Olympus E-330 dual-capability of optical viewfinder and
> flip LCD finder at:
> http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm
>
> My main concentration these days is preparing for a two-month trip
> to Swaziland, Africa to document the town of Bulembu, which is
> serving the abandoned and orphaned children in a country with the
> highest AIDS/HIV infection rate in the world.
> http://overseasresourcelink.org/who_we_are.html
> http://bulembu.org/

have a good trip Gary...the experience should be amazing and
devastating...remember that infants of HIV infected parents, even if
they are so  fortunate to be HIV uninfected, usually wind up being
early orphans, especially in that part of the world...

I have worked in a child HIV clinic for many years,

you have likely seen a few of my photos,

bon voyage, Steve