Subject: [Leica] technology changes...
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri Sep 19 14:46:27 2008

On Sep 19, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Sorry to disagree completely...
>
> Thanks to digital technology, I am able to look at incredibly moving
> pictures made by a doctor in Arizona...
> Thanks to digital technology, I can see places I would never see
> otherwise...
> Thanks to digital technology, I can share my own work with a
> worldwide audience...
>
> and so on.
>
> Yes, conditions for professional photographers have changed.

if I were a pro I would agree very likely with Mr Townend, but since I
am an amateur, I see it more like you...

we are free to do and enjoy whatever we do....it's wonderful to
benefit from the wonders of digital, and then use an M3 with  film,

and I do...

and I thank you Nathan for your kind comments about my photos...

I dare say that digital for some is a bad nightmare, however a
necessity, and for others it is a real blessing...

Steve

> As they have for auto workers, for college professors, for just
> about anyone who works for a living.
>
> But I sure would not want to go back 20 years.
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> http://www.frozenlight.eu
> http://www.greatpix.eu
> http://www.nathanfoto.com

> Blog: http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog
>

> On Sep 17, 2008, at 7:26 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:
>
>> from another (computer) list...
>>
>> relevant, a very good summary I think, but many here have heard it,
>> have lived it, and many have to deal with it now...
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> **************
>>> Well Shawn,
>>>
>>> I beg to differ. Life is not as simple as people wish it to be,
>>> I'm afraid....
>>>
>>> Without beating my own drum, I would say that I'm probably in a
>>> better position to comment on this than many, having been a
>>> working professional photographer for 22 years now...
>>>
>>> I've lived and worked through the demise of film and the advent of
>>> digital, and I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that I
>>> never used to waste so much 'down-time' as I do now having to keep
>>> abreast and paying for technology that at the end of the day does
>>> the same thing that it did 22 years ago...that is make photographs.
>>>
>>> OH - I can now wizz them across the planet in zilch time. Big
>>> Deal. That doesn't help my bottom line. It just adds more stress
>>> to my work day. Clients do not want to pay for this. They expect
>>> it in with the package these days....They want me not only to
>>> drive to the location (300 mile trip) shoot the photos, but also
>>> develop them and "ping" them over to the US or wherever before I
>>> go to bed. Its totally pants. When I shoot, I simply don't
>>> sleep...which makes me ill....which creates more stress blah de
>>> blah...But I digress...
>>>
>>> When I started professional photography in 1986 I saved my money
>>> and invested in a medium format system that served me well for
>>> many years - I still have it and it still works now and takes
>>> beautiful photographs. Clients used to be happy to pay for the
>>> film and processing. Job Done.
>>>
>>> I also have a Nikon D3 (and had D2x and D100 and .....get the
>>> picture - pardon the pun) and with each camera purchase comes a
>>> raft of disappointments as the latest camera body doesn't work
>>> well with last years lens...Take for example the D3...Nikons
>>> current flagship model...It doesn't even work properly with the
>>> current 70-200 f2.8 VR lens - Yes, I grant you it works sort
>>> of...as long as you are prepared to live with massive
>>> vingretting...the whole digitisation of the industry is quite