Subject: [Leica] Today's offering
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 14:14:57 2008

Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net> wrote:

>> the S2, the leica that (almost) no one can afford....
>
> (and if they could, why would they anyway?)

Steve, I'll gladly use the biggest camera I can carry.  I was looking into
645 cameras for a while, and aside from handling and the cost, the lenses
required for equivalent angle of view vs. long lenses for 35mm film are
ginormous when they're available.  The S2's sensor is half of 645, almost
three times the size of the DMR sensor.

By my calculations the pixel density of the S2 sensor is a bit higher than
the DMR's pixel density, so allowing for improved technology in the last
few years the image quality ought to be quite a bit better.  At first
glance the S2 appears to do away with handling problems and the size seems
less unmanageable; the "crop factor" would be 0.8 so my 560 would have an
angle of view corresponding to a 450mm lens on a 35mm camera.  Aside from
the cost, this could work.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Today's offering)