Subject: [Leica] S2 hits Photokina
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 15:56:52 2008

Harrison McClary <lists@mcclary.net> wrote:

> Now a technical question...the image from a lens is an image circle
> correct? Not a rectangle, correct?  Now a 35mm piece of film is a
> rectangle so to make a larger sensor all one really would need to do is
> to make it square, 35mm square, and you'd have a larger sensor and still
> be able to use existing lenses, or am I WAY off on my thinking?

The image circle of a lens designed for the traditional 35mm format has a
diameter equal to the diagonal of the 24mm x 36mm rectangle, more or less,
43mm for the 24x36 film.  A 35mm square image area has a diagonal of 49.5mm.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft?