Subject: [Leica] Might as well forget the S2 even EXISTS - and hope for an R10
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Tue Sep 23 05:30:15 2008

As an "armchair executive of Leica Solm's", I can't imagine anything
otherwise.

I would like to know which company is really collaborating with Leica
for the R8/9/10 and S2 development.   Superb fine mechanics skills and
knowledge does not lead to software / firmware / electronics greatness.
And there aren't many companies these days doing between the lens
shutters - Zeiss bought up the last one, didn't they?

I would anticipate that Leica would have produced the optical designs of
the glass and coatings.  That would ensure the colour balance, focus
transition and the "look" of the Leica lenses. That would be priceless -
the reason why we still buy Leica, when Zeiss and Cosina offer competing
focal lengths, comparable speeds and stunning price savings.

I applaud Leica for stepping into the 21st century, with whomever they
have joined with.  I am guessing it is Panasonic.  Someone rumored it
was Canon (so I only pass on that rumour).

I hope to be able to shoot with an S2, or even to touch one.

I don't imagine being able to afford one.

My lottery numbers have never come up.  And today looks like it will be
gloomy on the financial markets.

....Vick