Subject: [Leica] August 2009 for the S2????
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed Sep 24 19:29:16 2008

This strategy generally works if the new product does not eat into
your existing sales. Otherwise, you would be ending up holding lots
of inventory.

For the S2, it really is a brilliant move. If they are a wee bits
late, so what? It's not like people are not buying the Ms waiting for
the S2. In fact, it generates excitement amongst the R users. Plus it
delays the people who may consider buying the medium format digital
cams. They may now make do with rental or...

In the long run, Leica may still be in trouble, but this may be one
of those watershed events, like the M...

At 07:18 PM 9/24/2008, red735i@earthlink.net wrote:
>One reason for the forward announcement is to forestall sales to
>Hasselblad, etc.  This is a tactic that is very controversial, and
>one that I feel is not valid, but it is done.
>You pre-announce something great, get the audience into a frenzy,
>the market waits for YOUR product.
>
>I am not saying this IS the strategy, but it could be.
>
>Sometimes it works, other times it bombs.

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)