Subject: [Leica] Hard rive storage devices for travel - Wolverine
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Fri Sep 26 12:25:56 2008

Hello everyone.

I was wondering what you all use for backup when you don't have a
laptop with you?

I just purchased a Wolverine Picpac.  Right out of the box it would
not handle UDMA CF cards, so I sent an email to their support
address.  Within hours, Rico Kirby, their Customer Service Manager,
called me and asked me to overnight the unit back, with one of the
UDMA cards.  He had the board replaced, and sent it back by overnight
delivery.  It now supports reading from the UDMA cards.

It takes approximately 22 min to download a full 8Gb card, 11 min for
a 4Gb card.  Although it will read a UDMA card, I see no speed
difference in downloads between 133x and 300x cards.  There is no
display of the photo, so you just have to trust that the data is
readable.  It will tell you whether 100% was transferred, and then
shut off.  If there is some error, it doesn't shut off.

Other than that, it does just what it advertises, and nothing more.
Turn it on, carefully push in the CF card careful not to bend any
pins, and then push the Info/Copy button.  It then flashes the amount
to be copied, and you can watch it count up the % completed.  It then
says 100% copied.  You can then pull out the card.  It will tell you
the remaining disk space, so if you keep track of that you have some
confirmation that a transfer was successful.  Otherwise, you have to
just trust it.  To copy to the computer, you use an Y type USB cable.
Actually, the Y is just to give it power.  You can use a regular
cable, but you are not getting any recharging.

So, this is a nice unit for backup, compact, but with limited features.

Regards,
Bob Rose